It is estimated that about 27 million Americans suffer from some kind of thyroid disease and about half of these go undiagnosed. It has also been found that thyroid risk increases with the patient’s age and women have a higher likelihood of being diagnosed with this disease compared to men.
The thyroid produces a hormone that affects every cell and organ in the body and is responsible for temperature and heart rate regulation in addition to producing proteins that control metabolism rate. Therefore, if the thyroid gland has issues resulting in under or overproduction of the thyroid hormones, the whole body function will be affected. There are various medication used to control these problems, some are synthetic, but the best option is the natural thyroid medication that restores the functioning of the gland.
Causes of thyroid issues
These are various causes of thyroid problems; however, these four are the most common:
- Radiation and heavy metal toxicity
- Iodine and selenium deficiency
- Intolerance to foods like A1 casein and gluten
- Hormonal imbalance caused by little dietary fat, lots of carbs and high cortisol levels from stressful situations.
Someone can suffer from hypothyroidism, a case where the thyroid is underactive therefore producing low levels of the thyroid hormones. Other can experience hyperthyroidism where the thyroid gland is overactive and produces more than enough of the regulatory hormone. For hypothyroidism, the patient may require lifelong treatment; a proper treatment is the natural desiccated thyroid which cannot affect the body even with prolonged usage. If left untreated, the patient will develop various symptoms most of which are nonspecific and difficult to tie to hypothyroidism. The common ones are memory loss, weight gain, and depression.
The commonly used hormone replacement used to treat this condition is the synthetic form of levothyroxine to replace the main hormone produced by the gland. Before the synthetic form was developed, doctors have long been prescribing thyroid extract from animals. Many patients have testified to the advantages of using desiccated thyroid over levothyroxine due to its natural feel. Some patients who continue experiencing symptoms of hypothyroidism during a dose of levothyroxine report significant improvement when they take this natural thyroid medication.
- Weight gain
- Extreme fatigue
- Unexplained weight loss
- Muscle weakness
- Sleep problems
- Eye and vision issues
Since other conditions can also cause these symptoms, it is not easy to diagnose the thyroid problems unless one undergoes a thorough blood and urine test. The simple iodine spot skin test does not give a real diagnosis and may give a false result when the patient is suffering from hypothyroidism. It is important that a patient gets tested by a qualified professional.
Research has shown hat 90% of those suffering from hypothyroidism have Hashimoto’s the autoimmune condition where the immune system attacks the patient’s thyroid tissues hence the low production of thyroid hormones. The cure for this is finding the cause of the hormonal imbalance rather than just suppressing the symptoms with synthetic medication like Synthroid. Natural thyroid medication is available to help manage such conditions without causing side effects that in some situations may be worse than the disease itself.
Understanding natural desiccated thyroid extract
These are bovine or porcine thyroid glands that are dried and powdered to be used as a treatment for hypothyroidism in humans. This procedure was developed back in the 19th century and is being used till today even with the advancement in technology and science. It is still the best and has helped many patients get back to normal body function without side effects. Some brands call it
Westhroid, nature-thyroid or Armour thyroid.
The desiccated thyroid is devoid of connective tissues and differs only in fillers and binders in the various brands. Its commercial use began in 1934, and by early 1960s, levothyroxine began replacing the thyroid extract in the UK and North America. However, patients now realize the increased benefits of the natural thyroid medication in comparison to the levothyroxine.
Eight other secrets to naturally treat hypothyroidism
- Keep off A1casein and gluten: most of the food intolerance and allergy cases come from dairy and wheat products due to the hybridized gluten and A1 casein proteins. They cause leaky gut syndrome which results in thyroid gland inflammation, therefore, affecting its function. Implement a grain-free diet and avoid gluten. Consume dairy products from A2 cows, goat and sheep milk.
- Avoid Bisphenol A (BPA) present in plastic bottles. It can disrupt your endocrine function, therefore, affecting the thyroid gland. Drink out of glass, BPA-free bottles and stainless steel.
- Regularly check your iodine levels and if low, have liquid organic iodine supplement around.
- Detox from heavy metals to ease the pressure from your thyroid gland. Use a combination of turmeric, milk thistle, cilantro, and chlorella to remove the heavy metals from your organs and cells.
- Ensure you get enough selenium in what you eat, however, don’t overdo it. The best foods containing selenium include onions, mushrooms, beef, sunflower seeds, salmon and Brazil nuts.
- Take adaptogen supplements to lower your cortisol levels, therefore, improving thyroid function. Consider Tulsi and Ashwagandha.
- Remove any silver fillings as they have an effect on how the thyroid functions. Go as natural as possible in all you do to your body.
- Reduce your carbohydrate intake for example grains and sugar and replace them with healthy fats. In women, consuming too much carbs increase estrogen levels that negatively affect the thyroid. Consider increasing the healthy fat ratio in your diet to balance your hormones, eat coconut milk, coconut oil, avocado, wild salmon, grass-fed beef, hemp seeds, flaxseeds, and chia.
Even though there is no wide use of desiccated thyroid, studies have shown that many patients prefer it over levothyroxine. Using this natural thyroid medication have shown significant weight loss making a better option for patients. Those who have switched to natural desiccated thyroid from levothyroxine have attested to its efficacy and the lack of side effects as with the synthetic hormone replacement pills. The use of thyroid extract from animals is still the safest and most natural way to treat hypothyroidism in patients. It is the oldest method of treating this condition and has been observed longer.